Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Traveling in Time

Preparing for a trip can be exciting. Suddenly shopping is warranted and spending money is excused. Not that I enjoy throwing my dollars away, but the idea that I have given myself a budget which I am going to spend anyway, somehow makes me feel less guilty.

There is one part of traveling that freaks me out though, and that is the actual traveling. To be more precise: it’s the airplane.

I have this unmitigated fear of being in the air that the mere thought of it literally causes shortness of breath. It isn’t like I have never flown before, my last count has had me on around a dozen flights or so, yet no past experience nor reassurances about statistics and advances in mechanical science could possibly relieve me. The relief I feel when landing has made me reexamine my suicidal tendencies.

But the plane ride here was pleasant, and the trip looks like it will be a success.

Wish us luck… I still need to get home!

5 Comments:

At February 07, 2006 4:21 PM, Blogger Yoelish said...

Sheitel, it is kind of you to keep us updated.

From what you describe, I gather that you are experiencing a light version of claustrophobia. I’m sure you know that claustrophobia is a “fear of being closed in a confined space” especially in an aircraft.

You are not alone!

I haven’t seen any statistics on the phobia, but even if it’s disturbing only 2% of travelers still the perfect candidate would be one with an IQ found only in 2% of the population. lol

BTW, I’m also a bit claustrophobic ---- when soaring in the blogsphere. (chuckle)

Return safely.

 
At February 07, 2006 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"my suicidal tendencies"

Are you kidding? Who's going to defend the Chosen and rechosen souls? Can't just leave the blogsphere to us unchosen ones.

 
At February 08, 2006 7:02 AM, Blogger exsemgirl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At February 08, 2006 7:04 AM, Blogger exsemgirl said...

I fly pretty often yet each time before take off I wonder who I should call or SMS and what if I never returned what would happen. I don't get nervous but for some reason the thoughts of, "what if this was it?" cross my mind.
Strange. But common it seems....

Good luck for your trip home and enjoy your break!

 
At February 09, 2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Totally Content said...

Thank you all for you kind remarks. Actually I don't believe that it is fear of losing control, nor is it any form of claustrophobia. I don't really have any issues with either of those. I've heard it described as 'aviatophobia' - which is simply a fear of flying. It's take-off, being in the air, turbulence, occasional lack of oxygen, as well as the landing. Rationale would suggest it unwarranted, but it's there nonetheless.

The fear is back, since the return trip is just a few short hours away. Begreatfull, the Tefillos Haderech reminder is a good one, but not something I really needed to be reminded of. I can't recall any prayers that I have said with such sincerity.

See y'all soon. I hope.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home